Wear Your Confidence on Your Sleeves feat. Handwoven Khandua SIlk Saree






For the past few months have been battling  post-partum anxiety and low self confidence. There has been moments when I felt like a hot mess and  hated my bodily changes post delivery. Initially I didn't want to go out as I felt I looked miserable. As am gradually coming out of that phase with huge support from my family and friends,  thought about all others who suffer from similar body image issues everyday and for them its not a post-partum that will pass. Its not a good feeling for sure and won't wish it for anyone else.
Ma and Sanchita has been a constant support in this struggle of mine with myself. As Ma brought this wonderful handwoven Khandua silk with herself on her U.S. trip, Sanchita got this frilled top for me to pair with the saree.  I always was intimidated by and my brain always associated frills with looking "fat", so to wear it was very liberating and reinforcing the fact that my body image doesn't define me.  I didn’t wait for a special occasion to bust out this silk loveliness and wore  to a dinner at a friend's new home. I felt liberated, comfortable and loved as I preened up.




We, should only think about ourselves and what makes us happy. If you are like me who finds happiness in wearing saree or makeup DO IT. Or if you are someone who doesn't want to doll up ....Please DO AS YOUR HEART SAYS. After all its your peace that matters.  I don’t think that telling me women look their best in a saree is a compliment. Women should wear whatever they want to wear and it is nobody’s business but their own, it is not my or anyone else’s place to tell anyone what constitutes appropriate attire. Telling people what to wear implies that they can’t think/ choose for themselves, nothing outweighs her own autonomy over how she chooses to exist in the world and we definitely don’t need commentary on our bodies or clothing. I choose to wear whatever makes me happy, whether it is the  shorts, anarkali or torned jeans and a raggedly tee-shirt or a fabulous saree. And about your body image......remember that the notions of perfection are our own creations...they are societal inventions and you have all the strength to be the change and be YOU

I love handcrafted, ethically made clothing, I love wearing handloom-ed sarees, I love learning about them, I collect them and most of all I feel comfortable in the folds of something that I’ve been given with love. The saree in the photos above is something that my Mother painstakingly picked out on an incredibly hot afternoon in Jagannath Puri.

























Paired the saree with over-sized silver jhumkis, a hansuli necklace and a silver palm ring and a leather handcrafted purse. The earthy vibe of the saree was enhanced by pairing it with silver accessories. But you can easily match it with pearsl as well as gold jewelries too. Ma wore this same saree with her sleek pearls. 







0 comments:

Post a Comment